16 January, 2011

Freezerburn and JJ Wedding

On Friday we went to Freezerburn in Dripping Springs, TX. A sort-of camping event. We met some very lovely people and saw a few familiar faces. One girl we met at Orfunner called Toro. We all hung out around the fire and talked about nonsense. The best sorts of conversations are about nothing. The in between times that make us laugh and bridge the gap between the very hard times and the simpler times.

I love these events not because specific things happen but because the people are all of a sudden free to be their full selves. No limits to what you say and people band together to honour each-other as humans. These things are not defined in what happens at these functions but it is my perspective.

Even though I was cold, wet and tired. I look back on Friday as not miserable because of the weather but as a experience. There was a fellow named Nick, I believe, who Peter helped put up Tarps to create a warmer area. Before we parted ways he talked about how he was reading the Tao Te Ching and that he wants to "stand back and let things be." For a long time I had felt deeply connected to the ideas of Taoism.

I had a moment of anxiousness before Joanna and Serious' wedding. I was helping them and I didn't feel like I was helping enough and felt frantic. I wanted to help but was feeling my limits. I snapped and felt horrible as soon as I did. Peter told me that I should breathe when those moments happen because snapping doesn't help anything. This moment brought me back to Tao Te Ching and I perused the text once again for clarity in that moment.

Being and non-being create each other.
Difficult and easy support each other.
Long and short define each other.
High and low depend on each other.
Before and after follow each other.

-Tao Te Ching

To see such lovely people as Joanna and John tying the knot was exciting.

I met Serious at Flipside last year through Peter. Instantly, as he walked up with a lighted staff, I knew I liked him. He meandered with us through the flipside and Orfunner terrain together. Many months after I met his lovely Joanna. She is equally wonderful. There is something magnetic about them both and watching them tie themselves to each other meant something dear to me. I'm very blessed to know such kind and giving people. They make everyone who come in contact with them feel valued and that is something I want to learn from them.

The experience of being able to be there watching their ceremony meant a lot to me.

Flipside 2010
Flipside 2010
Flipside 2010
Flipside 2010

No comments: